Fine Silver: An Age Old Tradition

Whenever you watch soap operas, the rich families walk into their candlelit house with no windows and dark wooded furniture and pour themselves a drink from a fancy decanter filled with brown liquid. If not alcohol, they mosey on over to the fine silver and pour a delectable cup of coffee into a china cup.

It’s pretty funny to me. Perhaps I’m just hanging around the wrong group of people, but I don’t know a single soul who keeps their scotch in a decanter or the coffee in a fine silver coffee holder on a silver tray. They may have those things in a curio cabinet, but they’re purely for decorative purposes.



With the exception of church events that I do remember seeing fine silver being used at their appearance is rare. It was usually at Mother/Daughter teas when I was a kid. They really liked to make those fancy and I always got to bring home a bag of mints and a flower.

My grandmother had a very fancy set from Norway that she used periodically. If it was a fancy gathering, that silver came out and itlooked very elegant on her lace tablecloth. It was also from Norway, which made it far cooler than the norm. I inherited that silver when she passed away. I think it’s time I found a place to use it now as this is trend that really should come back into fashion.